Ductless mini-split A/Cs: Cool comfort, lower bills, and better air quality
With warmer weather on the way as we navigate through uncertain COVID-19 waters, we may soon be relying on our home cooling system rather than our home heating system to keep us comfortable as we socially distance in our North Short homes. If you cool your home with window air conditioners, this might be the year to consider upgrading to a ductless mini-split air conditioner to save money and improve your indoor air quality.
Why go ductless?
Ductless systems are quieter, more efficient, and less obtrusive to your living space than window A/Cs – and you won’t have to drag them in and out of the basement, either. Here are some great advantages of a ductless system compared to window (and even central) air conditioners:
- Higher efficiency – Ductless systems are extremely efficient, with many models having SEER ratings of 18 or more – well more than the 14 or 15 rating of most window models. That energy savings might come in real handy if you’re running your cooling equipment day and night.
- Better air quality – In a central air system, your ductwork creates the perfect conditions for growing bacteria, mold and other harmful microorganisms. Since a mini-split doesn’t need ductwork, it avoids those problems altogether.
- More flexible placement – Mini-split air handlers (the indoor component in a ductless system) vary in size and can be installed in basements, attics, and even rooms with no windows to create flexible cooling zones in your home.
- Easier installation – Installing a ductless system usually takes about a day – much shorter than a central air system. And once it’s in, it’s in – unlike a window A/C that has to be removed and re-installed every year. With a mini-slit, all you need is a wall and one or two 2- to 3-inch holes to connect the air handlers to the outdoor condenser.
- Better environmental performance – Not only is a mini-split much more efficient than a window A/C, it also uses a more ozone-friendly refrigerant (typically R410A) than a typical window unit. That means fewer toxins and fewer carbon emissions for every hour you run your unit.
Home comfort is more important than ever this year – make sure your family is safe and comfortable with expert ductless A/C installations and service in Massachusetts from the pros at Holden Oil. Contact us today to learn more. Please note that we will continue to take preventative measures outlined by the CDC to ensure that your family and our team members remain healthy in this challenging time.