Make 2020 a New Year for home comfort
The start of a new year – or in this case a new decade – is the perfect time to make changes that can bring you more pleasure, financial freedom, and comfort. Mostly, those changes come down to developing good habits – a fact that is certainly true when it comes to home comfort.
Here are six great habits to develop that will take your home comfort to the next level in 2020:
- Change air filters regularly – One of the best ways to enjoy more comfort at home – and to save money on energy bills – is to regularly check and change air filters on your forced air heating or cooling system (at least once a month during peak cooling and heating seasons).
- Use your programmable thermostat – Lower the temperature by seven to ten degrees when you’re asleep or out of the house and you could cut your bills by 10 percent or more, says the U.S. Department of Energy. The easiest way to do that? Install and use a programmable or smart thermostat.
- Make little changes – Making your home more energy efficient isn’t always about investing in big-ticket items; sometimes small and simple changes can have a big impact on efficiency. Try making these energy- and money-saving changes in 2020:
- Re-caulk and weather strip windows to reduce drafts
- Lower your water heater thermostat temperature to 120°
- Use ceiling fans year-round to drop thermostat temperatures by three or four degrees with no loss of comfort.
- Replace aerators and showerheads with low-flow versions to cut down your hot water use.
- Replace incandescent and fluorescent bulbs with LEDs
You can find more energy saving ideas on the U.S. Department of Energy website.
- Make things EZ-er on yourself – Winter heating bills can present you with unwelcomed surprises, especially during a good old-fashioned New England cold snap. But they don’t have to: sign up for our EZ Pay Plan and you’ll eliminate heating bills surprises; instead, you’ll get the same bill month after month over the course of the year, with no finance charges and no strings attached.
- Splurge on occasion – Sometimes, you just have to treat yourself – whether you’ve been eyeing a propane hearth for your living room, a propane pool heater for spring and summer fun, or a quiet, super-efficient mini-split air conditioner for your always-too-hot hobby or workroom, indulge in 2020.
- Get professional help – Want peace of mind knowing that your home heating equipment will run better for longer? Get a professional tune-up every year. Preventive maintenance pays for itself by keeping efficiency high and repair risk low. Want an even better value? Sign up for a Holden Service Plan and get repair discounts, priority service, and more.
- Know when it’s time to move on – There will come a time when replacing your heating or cooling system makes more sense than repairing it. When that time comes, don’t hesitate to upgrade – the move will often pay for itself in just a few years, and provide more comfort and peace of mind along the way.
Start 2020 out right in your North Shore MA home – contact Holden Oil for expert heating system service, professional air conditioning, boiler and furnace installations, reliable heating oil and propane deliveries, and more! Contact us today to learn more.