Propane safety in the event of a gas leak
One of the many benefits of propane is that it is one of the safest home energy fuels around – but you still need to take proper precautions when using propane gas, and know what to do in the event of a propane emergency.
Here are some propane safety reminders as we inch toward spring 2020 here in Massachusetts:
- Know what propane smells and sounds like – Propane manufacturers add a strong sulfuric smell so it smells like rotten eggs or skunk spray (propane is naturally odorless) so it is detectable during a leak. A propane leak also makes a hissing sound, like air escaping from a leaking tire.
- If you suspect a propane leak,
- Put out all flames and sparks – Immediately put out open flames and smoking materials – or anything likely to cause a spark. Never turn on lights, appliances or other electrical items, as these can generate static electricity.
- Leave the area immediately – Remove all children and pets from your home.
- If it is safe to do so, shut off propane gas valve – Turn the valve on your propane tank to the right (clockwise) to turn off the main gas supply.
- Report the propane leak – Dial 911 from a safe building away from the propane leak, and contact us for further assistance. After the leak is secured, get your system checked by a professional – do not operate any appliances until your system has been cleared for use.
Avoiding future problems
- Maintain your equipment – Get routine, professional service for your propane heating equipment every year.
- Install a propane gas detector – A propane gas detector will sound an alarm if it senses propane gas in the air. This is helpful in the event of propane odor loss, or if members of your household are suffering from a cold.
- Treat connectors with care – when moving appliances, make sure the gas line connector is handled with care. Cracking, flexing, or twisting increases the likelihood of a propane leak.
- Plug or cap unused gas lines – If you move an appliance or it is not in use, make sure the gas line is properly secured.
Stay safe and enjoy the many benefits of propane – with dependable, year-round propane deliveries in the North Shore from Holden!