Propane Space Heater Safety Tips For Your Home
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), space heaters account for more than two out of every five house fires in the U.S. – second only to cooking accidents as a cause of household fires.
Does this mean you should never use a space heater in your North Shore home? Hardly: most of those fires are caused by carelessly placed or improperly functioning portable heaters– problems you can avoid when you have your space heater sized, installed and maintained by a professional.
Still, safety should always be the top consideration when using any type of space heater.
Here are some propane safety tips to keep in mind as you continue to warm your Massachusetts home with a space heater in the weeks and months to come.
Space Heater Safe Use Checklist
- Before using any space heater, read the manufacturer’s instructions and warning labels carefully.
- Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off when you’re leaving a room or going to sleep.
- Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around space heaters; do not allow underage children to play in a room with a propane space heater.
- Space heaters are only meant to provide supplemental heat and should never be used to warm bedding, cook food, dry clothing or thaw pipes.
- Install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms on every floor of your home and outside all sleeping areas; test them once per season, and replace them as instructed in your equipment’s owner’s manual. Strongly consider adding propane leak detectors, too.
- Make sure that space heaters are installed correctly and in the right place; keep them at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including papers, clothing and rugs.
- Never use an outdoor heating device (an outdoor grill or outdoor space heater for example) inside your house! They are not equipped to safely ventilate in your indoor space. Don’t use a gas-powered oven for heat, either (for the same reason).
- Get your space heater and other propane-powered equipment serviced and inspected by a professional every year.
- Always have your propane space heaters installed by a professional who understands how to properly connect and ventilate your system. Propane direct vent space heater installation is NOT a DIY job.
At Holden Oil, your safety is ALWAYS our #1 priority. If you have any questions about your propane space heater – or if you are considering a propane space heater installation in the North Shore of MA – contact us today for a FREE, no obligation estimate.