Propane Safety for Your North Shore Home
Holden Oil is dedicated to consumer safety
Holden Oil has been meeting the fuel services needs of our North Shore neighbors for more than 90 years. We care about our neighbors, and that’s why we are committed to safe propane delivery and service to Holden Oil customers.
What to do if you smell gas
Part of that commitment includes educating you on what to do to protect yourself and your family if you smell gas in your home, business, fleet vehicle, RV or the area around gas equipment. The steps we give below are vital to protecting lives and need to be taken as soon as you smell gas:
- IMMEDIATELY get everyone out of the house, building or area.
- Extinguish cigarettes, open flames or any other source of ignition.
- Do not use electric switches, telephones, appliances or thermostats until you are safely out of the house or building, or away from the area.
- Turn off the gas shutoff valve on the propane tank or cylinder if you can safely get to it.
- Once safely away, use your cell phone or a neighbor’s phone to call for emergency personnel or a trained propane service technician.
- Give emergency personnel and/or qualified propane service technicians the time they need to check for escaped propane gas. Don’t try to return, or turn on the propane supply valve, even if you don’t smell gas anymore.
- The leak needs to be repaired by a trained propane service technician. The technician or emergency personnel determine that the problem has been safely resolved before anyone is allowed back.
- The propane service technician also needs to carefully inspect all of the gas appliances and relight all of the gas appliance pilots.
- Wait until you get the OK from emergency personnel or the propane service technician before returning to the area.
The Propane Education & Research Council (PERC) created these learning modules to help you learn about propane safety and dealing with propane appliances for everything from home heating to cooking food. Click on the below modules to review the topics and other important information.
Propane Safety + Operation Tips